Buildings (30-100)

View this page as a printable PDFSkip to Container Listing

Descriptive Summary

Collection Title: Buildings

Collection Number: 30

Series Number: 100

Extent: 20 standard boxes, 3 oversized flat boxes, 1 card box (24 boxes total and 16 drawers)

Abstract: This collection houses material related to buildings on the campus of the University of St. Francis. The collection includes various news clippings, construction blueprints and layouts from the architects, correspondences, and photographs. This collection has been divided into eight series:

History:

The Motherhouse is the oldest building on campus when the congregation purchased an estate on Plainfield Road in 1880. The completion of the Motherhouse was in spring of 1881 and the congregation took up residence in 1882. The Motherhouse was very spacious, which allowed the congregation to provide various programs for students, orphans, and visitors alike. An addition was made to the Motherhouse along Taylor Street in 1912, allowing for St. Francis Academy to open on this new wing. The Motherhouse also contained numerous classrooms, labs, and a library for the students which attended St. Francis Academy.

Tower Hall was built from 1922-1923 as an accommodation for St. Francis Academy, so that the Motherhouse could be open for other programs. Tower Hall became the groundwork for a college when the sisters developed college departments. St. Francis Academy was granted permission to make the academy into a college also known as Assisi Junior College in 1925. The college quickly expanded in order to accommodate the growing numbers of students.

St. Albert Hall was built due to the fact faculty member Sister Joan Preising made it her personal mission to have a science building. Through various methods of funds (Caritas, grants, books, and contributions), Sister Preising was able to gather the necessary amount of money to have the science building built, with the ground breaking in spring 1959 and classes began in 1960. After the school was accredited to become a four year college in 1938, two libraries were created; one was in Tower Hall and the second one was in the Motherhouse. The libraries were present in the two buildings until 1968, when a library building was specifically built.

Marian Hall was created due to the rise in students attending the college. In 1965, there was a groundbreaking ceremony and the completion of the building was in 1960. The building houses approximately 250 residents and also included study spaces on each floor and game room on the first floor. The Recreation Center was built in 1986 because of the growing sports and athletic programs, such as intramural sports.

The campus expanded again with the Rialto Arts Center in 2009, the Plaster Center in downtown Joliet in 2013, and the Guardian Angel Home purchase in 2014.

Physical Location: LG12 - Section 16, Shelf 6; Section 18, Shelves 4-6; Flat Drawers #1-6

Language: English

Processor: Gloria Hendrickson, Archives Librarian; Adjo Tamkelo, Archives Student Worker

Administrative Information

Restrictions on use and reproduction: All rights held by the University of St. Francis. For permission to reproduce, distribute or otherwise use materials, please contact Archives staff.

Restrictions on access: CLOSED - Permission to view collection must be obtained from the President's Office.

Provenance/ Source of Acquisition: Buildings and Grounds Department

Scope and Content Note

Types of material: The Buildings Collection comprise of various materials including: meeting minutes, news articles, correspondences, photographs, blueprints, samples, proposals, contracts, invoices, purchase order forms, reports, and documents.

Dates: 1914-2014

Important divisions Generally divided by building

Container Listing

Box 1

Box 2:

Box 3:

Box 4:

Box 5:

Box 6:

Box 7:

Box 8:

Box 9:

Box 10:

Box 11:

Box 12:

Box 13:

Box 14:

Box 15:

Box 16:

Box 17:

Box 18:

Box 20:

Box 21:

Box 22:

Box 23:

Box 24:

Drawer 1:

Drawer 2:

Drawer 3:

Drawer 4:

Drawer 5:

Drawer 6:

Keywords